Technoslick wrote:
Hold it! Rephrase in order!

What I meant is compare autofs to supermount, without the obvious fact that
supermount doesn't always work out of the picture.
autofs is somewhat more diffcult to set up. You create a directory other than /mnt, for instance I use /media. You leave it empty. Then you enter "floppy" and "burner" and "cdrom" lines in your autofs config files.

Then you start the autofs daemon.

When you try to access the actually nonexistent "/media/cdrom", autofs creates the "/media/cdrom" folder for you, and mounts the cdrom drive there.

When you back out of the /media/cdrom and certain timeout expires, autofs unmounts cdrom, and /media/cdrom directory disappears.

More details can be found in autofs man pages.

--
Milos Prudek