On Friday November 22 2002 10:52 am, Franki wrote:

> I have no "user" in my fstab at all.. and I had to copy my CD's to
> the local hard drive to install stuff.. otherwise rpmdrake just asks
> for the same CD over and over, even when it has the right one..
>
> If I used them more, i'd take out supermount altogether and mount
> manually.. but I keep hoping mandrake will fix it..
>
> as a result of this, I think mdk7.2 is still their best ever
> release..
>
> anyone else agree with me??

     No.

      You may want to consider it's a hardware problem. Either the CD
drive or the media (burned or pressed).  For instance, I have a lot of
movies on CDr's. Dozens of movies on each CDr.  If I load a play list
from a CDrom, whether usin Mplayer or Xine, most of the time the player
will hang on a movie before making it's way thru the whole CD.  If I do
the same thing, but load the movies usin my burner as a reader, there's
never a problem. Much the same with music CDr's or CD's usin Xmms.

     Rpmdrake often fails to install rpms from my Cdrom drive, but if I
remove Cdrom as the sources, and load Cdrom2 (cd-rw) as the sources, it
never fails.  Bottom line is my Cdrom drive probly has some spindle
wobble or laser misalignment, or both.  Also, burners use a 'better'
laser (narrower, brighter). When ever I've had problems with my ancient
floppy drive, it always turns out to be the media. All my floppy's are
ancient too ;)

     Supermount (and Mandrake) IMO, are falling victim to complaints
based on the assumption it's the OS's fault, when surely, user, then
hardware, and lastly OS should be explored.  As the subject says "First
suspect - me"  then hardware.  Eliminate those culprits before
complaining about Mandrake and supermount.