To the group:

I may get the hang of this com-poo-ter yet :(

I managed to send the appropriate 'mea culpa' to Chris, but not to the
group.  Now I have egg on my face--twice.[you can find me on the
breakfast menu:  two eggs on ham  <bg>]  Here is the missing beginning
of the above reply:

Chris,

Mybad!  You get the props for all the effort...I get all the
ghost-cheers for failing to give you sufficient information!

Additional information that I needed to supply was that the new entries
to your /etc/profile file needed to be made 'inside' the file (before
the 'unset i' ... and inside the same 'if-fi' set as the other PATH
definitions.

To make sure that I have not mucked up this explanation, I've attached a
corrected file.  I've used your file and have done two cut-n-paste
changes.

Try this again, with the new file (if you actually use my file version,
don't forget to rename it 'profile'--without the quotes).  In addition,
as pointed out by Stormjumper, you apparently don't need to reboot--just
log out of your user account and log back in. (Maybe I spent too many
years adminning an RH Linux ISP Internet server system from a Winblows
desktop?)

As always, if I've made a goof, I'm sure one of our listmates will
kindly supply a correction.

Erik

<complete snip>

--