made the change, ran ldconfig  Konsole no longer segfaulted...but it
also wouldn't open.

I meant to log out and log back in, but accidently rebooted...Xwindows
started to load, stopped, runlevel changed (3, I think) and booted to
CLI.

I 'undid' the ld.so.config change, ran ldconfig, rebooted and Xwindows
loaded as usual and of course Konsole segfaults again.

Began checking through the core dump files, found ~15 files listed ...
still checking, but appears that each is symlinked differently in the
/lib/lsb/ directory than in other /lib/ directories. Now I'm looking for
the offending program...one core file was a good piece of an rpm --
possibly a rebuild, but most likely a mucked up install.

Thanks for your reply.
Erik

--
Erik