Core dumps are an entirely normal part of running Linux. Anytime an
application 'segfaults' a diagnostic dump is produced.  If you run flaky
applications then core dumps are the consequence.

However ordinary users are generally not interested in core dumps and wish to
suppress them. This is easily done by inserting the command
ulimit -c 0  in the file ~/.bash_profile   for a single user, or /etc/profile
for all users.

Looking at my own system. My laptop is producing coredumps (because I keep
running Opera 6.1 which crashes regularly) and I can see the current setting
by typing ulimit -a  is to allow core dumps up to 1MB in size

On the other hand ulimit -a on my desktop machine tells me that coredump size
is set to zero, and I am not getting core dumps.

So clearly there is a difference in the way my two computers are configured.
The only difference that comes to mind is that the /home directory on the
desktop was from a previous 8.2 install, while the laptop was a clean
install.

I will take a closer look to find out where the coredump size is being set.

derek