Ego???
Some times in some ways for SOME people, MAYBE.  I've learned that being a
teacher (good teacher) one learns far more the the "student"
Joy comes in serving others.
Helping others is a commandment for some of us (Biblical speaking).
I may be new at Linux, but have spent much of my life helping others in
various ways, do NOT like being in the "spotlight".
Alexander Solzhenitsyn found joy in the midst of Stalin's Gulag, as he
learned the meaning of "dying to self".
I suppose you believe people like Dietrich Bonhoffer (killed by Hitler) was
an egomaniac by risking his freedom and life leading the Nazi resistance
movement within the Church of Germany?
GIVING, NOT BEING SELF-CENTERED, Is at the heart of a life of joy and
freedom...