On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 08:33, Todd Slater wrote:

> This is your opinion and that is fine, but please don't insult others by
> suggesting that they are living a lie and that you are a saviour that
> can reveal the truth to them.
>
> Imagine two soldiers who are ordered to carry out cruel and vicious acts
> (maybe they're Nazis). The penalty for failing to carry out an order is
> death. One soldier does his job without thinking, the other decides he
> cannot carry out the order. He knows that he will be put to death.
>
> I suppose you can argue that the second soldier is acting in his own
> self interest because he wants to die with a clean conscience, but I
> don't buy it. His self interest would always be to preserve his own
> life.
>
> How do you explain these supererogatory acts?
>
> I don't have a problem admitting that humans are selfish, but I don't
> subscribe to the absolutist nature of your supposition. And you won't be
> able to convince me otherwise, because this is a belief.
>
> Todd

Gads, people - we're getting a bit knee deep in brown sludge here -
let's all face it - we all do it for different reasons.

Personally, I get a raging hard-on from it all. There, I said it.

(g)

Cheers!

--
Fri Dec 13 08:50:00 EST 2002
  8:50am  up 2 days,  1:12,  5 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.38, 0.62

   .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
--------------------------------
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

New York... when civilization falls apart, remember, we were way ahead of you.
- David Letterman