Stephen Kuhn writes:
On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 09:06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I have two linux boxes connected to an Ethernet hub. In the /etc/hosts file on each computer I have the IP address, fully qualified name (for the local domain) and alias of the other machine. I can ping and FTP the other box without a problem.
But if I try to email the other box, the email sits in the queue and eventually I get an error message saying the domain couldn't be found and the message is undeliverable.
I thought that by having an entry in /etc/hosts the mail program would query the other computer to see if there was an account on that host to receive the email.
Do I really need to set up one of the computers as the server on such a simple network?
You have to make sure that POP3 is running as a service.

pop3???
my understanding of pop3 was that the emails were held on a remote server until you retrieved them.
I wanted to send an email directly from box A to box B. I didn't want client B to have to retrieve email being held on server A.

As well, you're
going to have to double check your POSTFIX configurations as well.

I actually left the postfix configurations at the default, since the comments within the config file said it would get my hostname and domain through system variables ($HOSTNAME and $HOSTDOMAIN or something like that)
I guess I could fiddle with the postfix settings too...