I have two linux boxes connected to an Ethernet hub. In the /etc/hosts file on each computer I have the IP address, fully qualified name (for the local domain) and alias of the other machine. I can ping and FTP the other box without a problem.
But if I try to email the other box, the email sits in the queue and eventually I get an error message saying the domain couldn't be found and the message is undeliverable.
I thought that by having an entry in /etc/hosts the mail program would query the other computer to see if there was an account on that host to receive the email.
Do I really need to set up one of the computers as the server on such a simple network?