Anne Wilson wrote:

On Friday 20 Dec 2002 12:26 am, Charlie wrote:

On December 19, 2002 02:23 pm, Andrei Raevsky wrote:

Dear friends,

I have recently had the worst of times with my ISP who also is my main
internet address provider (I use Hotmail, alas, only for my public
messages since it is saturated with spam anyway). Ideally, I would look
for a company in the USA, with either state-wide local numbers, or an 800
number to call, which would care about its customers and who at least
have some knowledge about Linux (the big ones all want us to run Win32
software on our machines).

Other considerations are, of course, ease of connection, downtime, etc.

Is anybody on this list actually happy with his ISP and mail server
provider? If yes, please help me out with this!

Also, I prefer not to go with a company which provides email as a
"sideorder" for long-distance or local telephone service.

While I cannot afford to pay much, I use dial-up anyway, I certainly
would be willing to pay for good quality.

I was told that Earthlink is ok. Does anybody know?

Finally, it would be ideal to find a company which is strongly pro-Linux
or somehow linked with the linux community.

Am I dreaming,

Cheers,

Andrei

It's hard to tell what ISP's users running GNU/Linux are getting "support"
from, but for overall ratings it's hard to beat the user's ratings at:

http://www.dslreports.com/
(not just for DSL)

I consulted them, and found that mailbox (for the UK) got extremely high ratings, even though I'd never heard of them. I made some direct enquiries from them, found their support helpful, and that they are linux friendly, and went for them. And I've never regretted it. Support is quick and friendly, and unlike some they never imply that you are an idiot for bothering them.

Anne

Can I ask any of you, does your isp peddle you a line about ,

"you must not have more than 4 appliances connected to any one telephone line"

as freeserve does.

By this, I don't mean 4 appliances using the line simultaneously,
which is not possible, but 4 devices, whether they be that computers or just handsets.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]