On Friday 20 Dec 2002 12:46 pm, David Robertson wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 12:12, Derek Jennings wrote:
> > WARNING - The following text will be of no interest to any non Britons,
> > and will be tediously boring to anyone who reads it.
> >----------------
>
>  --snip
>
> boring bit removed!
>
>  --snip
>
> Tell me Derek,
>
> Where do REN's fit in with ADSL? I mean, does an ADSL connection have a
> REN rating (since you're in the mood for explaining things to us Brits!)
>
> David

 It is a long time since I left the modem business, so I cannot be so
authorative about ADSL.
An ADSL modem does not need to attach to the third 'ringer' wire. It will
attach in parallel to the A and B wires, and will contain a high pass filter
to filter out all the ringing and telephone signals. It should therefore not
have a REN at all, but in the light of what I said about it making
manufacturers lives easier if they do declare a REN I would not be surprised
if you were to see a REN number written on the bottom.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net