On Sunday 22 Dec 2002 2:52 pm, Steve Jeppesen wrote:
> I filter the entire list into one folder called "Newbie" (orig. huh?
> LOL)

At the moment that's all I'm doing, but when I get more hectic again I will
have to add filters.  For instance, under Newbie I would create new folders
for areas of interest, then filter on the lines of If Subject contains camera
move to folder /newbie/camera.  It's not 100% effective, but works reasonably
well, particularly since I make sure that the filter that moves all other
newbie list posts to the newbie folder is the last to be carried out.

> but filter threads within?  Is there another filter which can be put in
> place?  All I do is click the subject "button" above all the emails, and
> it sort of filters by subject - not very effective though.
>
> Using Sylpheed 0.8.5claws here.

I use KMail, but I would have thought that most email clients can filter on
similar lines.

> Another filter I would like to use is something like, if I have not
> marked (right now, by color marking) a message, I would like it to be
> deleted after a week has gone by since the message was received.  Does
> anybody know how to do that?  Haven't been able to figure that one out.

That would be more difficult, I think, since filters are generally applied
only on incoming mail.  I presume you are thinking about messages already
downloaded?  If not, KMail can filter on <age in days>.  KMail has an option
to 'apply on manual filtering' but I've never worked out how to use manual
filtering  :)

Anne