Ok,
my problem was that instead of /dev/sda1, it needs to be listed in
fstab as /dev/sdb1...discovered that by accident after doing a cdrecord
-scanbus with the camera turned on.  It now (sound of knocking on wood
here) "remembers" the settings and I have a little icon setup on my
Roxfiler panel, just plug the camera in, click the icon and wait for a
few seconds and Gqview pops up with the pics ready to be viewed.

I usually do not reboot my system either (I leave it on 24/7) I had just
not remembered the"mount -a" command and thanks to windoze for starting
me on this habit - I ended up rebooting.

As for that move command in your script I had mentioned earlier, I think
it would be best to leave it as a copy command instead.

I haven't used the camera enough yet to figure out how to delete
individual pics yet...I just do a "format" of the memory (that is how
the camera lists the action) and all the pics are deleted.

Again, thanks alot Todd for supplying that script!  I am telling
everybody that it was actually easier to get the camera working in linux
compared to windoze!  (Well, they don't really need to know of my "noob"
expriences in trying to get it to work!)

Only "problem" - more of a distaste - with windoze was all the "ok" or
"next" button clicking, and of coarse the complementary "Windows needs
to be rebooted in order to finish installing your software" thing.

--
Linux user #280097
Machine #162480

http://counter.li.org