On Friday January 3 2003 02:17 am, Ronald J. Hall wrote:

> Actually, before I checked my mail today (and this thread) I had
> been playing around with this. It does seem to follow what you are
> saying. I tried
>
> 788
> 791
>
> 788 works, but will use bootsplash if present, 791 gives 1024x768
> (lots of text onscreen!). So I think you guys are right, in that
> bootsplash supports only a few resolutions, any other setting
> bypasses it.
>
> Thanks for all the help/insight... :-)

  Actually there's even more to it.  From what I've read, nVidia
chipsets don't really do (incapable of) 16M (32bpp). Even if this is
what you pick, they default to 24bpp (still sort'a 16M). A shortcut
they took to get ahead of ATI. To which they've lost the lead again
anyhow. MOF, for the most part nVidia, even their latest chips,
default to, or really only do 16bpp (64K), and will work best if you
set (XFdrake) them to that, specially 3d/accel games. Same is true
for Windos.

   That's been my experience also with a GeF2-400mmx, 64mb. What
should be upsetting to all PC users, specially those Linux inclined,
is the increasing dependence of hardware to use software emulation
(drivers) to work at the fullest, or even work at all.

   I believe that's the main culprit behind differenet users,
experiencing different behavior, even with bootsplash. Multiply
(permutate) all the differnent user/hardware/OS/driver combinations
out there ... it's amazing anything works. Specially since computers
are nothin more than glorified transistor radios.

   It ain't bootsplash, or Mandrake, or Linux, or even Windoze so
much. It's user acceptance of over priced, seems snazzy, hardware.
... and it ust'a be only winmodem persons got razzed ;)