On Friday 03 January 2003 05:05 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:

>   Actually there's even more to it.  From what I've read, nVidia
> chipsets don't really do (incapable of) 16M (32bpp). Even if this is
> what you pick, they default to 24bpp (still sort'a 16M). A shortcut
> they took to get ahead of ATI. To which they've lost the lead again
> anyhow. MOF, for the most part nVidia, even their latest chips,
> default to, or really only do 16bpp (64K), and will work best if you
> set (XFdrake) them to that, specially 3d/accel games. Same is true
> for Windos.

Hmm, I know I've always been told (and do) set my desktop to 65k colors
because of the games - I assumed this was for some sort of Windog
compatibility. Even back to my early Linux days when I was using a Voodoo
3000.

>    That's been my experience also with a GeF2-400mmx, 64mb. What
> should be upsetting to all PC users, specially those Linux inclined,
> is the increasing dependence of hardware to use software emulation
> (drivers) to work at the fullest, or even work at all.
>
>    I believe that's the main culprit behind differenet users,
> experiencing different behavior, even with bootsplash. Multiply
> (permutate) all the differnent user/hardware/OS/driver combinations
> out there ... it's amazing anything works. Specially since computers
> are nothin more than glorified transistor radios.
>
>    It ain't bootsplash, or Mandrake, or Linux, or even Windoze so
> much. It's user acceptance of over priced, seems snazzy, hardware.
> ... and it ust'a be only winmodem persons got razzed ;)

I hear ya Tom. I've had to use Nvidia because it *works* as the only other
choice was to dual-boot with Windows - and I personally found that to be a
choice I couldn't make.

Just as soon as ATI's new open driver stuff is close enough to Nvidia to be
useable, I'll be more than happy (and relieved) to pull out the 'ole credit
card and buy 3 cards to replace the Nvidia's here...

<moment of wistful thinking here> mayperhaps Nvidia will see Linux users
switching to ATI because of the open source situation and *finally* release
the code to their drivers! :-)

I know, I know...still, we can hope!

See ya!

--