On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:13:14 -0800
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's odd that someone from the same timezone as myself can't imagine
> that the article was published on the same day but before the
> announcement came out.

I don't care about -your- timing. My point was to the original poster
who recommended your article as timely and relevant to the discussion
on Mandrakesoft's bankruptcy. It's not.

That aside, your article doesn't does nothing to "inspire a better
future" because instead of wrapping your ideas in a positive context,
("he's what would help Mandrake" or "here's what we can do in the
unfortunate event Mandrake disappears") it's completely negative. It
anticipates Mandrakesoft's death, and suggests we divert support from
them at a time they need it most. It's like the that Monty Python
bit:

  Here's one.
  Ninepence.
  I'm not dead!
  What?
  Nothing. Here's your ninepence.
  I'm not dead!
  'Ere. He says he's not dead!
  Yes, he is.
  I'm not!
  He isn't?
  Well, he will be soon. He's very ill.
  I'm getting better!
  No, you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment.

Except, of course, you're serious.

I agree that _if_ Mandrake dies, your ideas would serve the remaining
community well. So if you wanna draw up plans for that possibility
(not eventuality) then fine. "Expect the best, but prepare for the
worst" is a great philosophy. But let's wait for the funeral before
you suggest _implementing_ the plans.

Miark