http://www.cuug.ab.ca/~leblancj/labs/lin_win2k_dual_boot.html

Follow the instructions, you won't go wrong. The only thing is that the NTFS
restriction he talks about is no longer there, as my system testifies!

Or you can do things a little different, as I did.
throw in a little of this below
http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/multiboot/linux_win2k_fix.htm

and you get my method (abbreviated, read the links above, take your time, and
it will be fine):

Install Linux first. -- first non-standard approach!

Create 1st partition, bootable, win2k (inyour case, 20 gigs if you want a
clean splie), NTFS worked fine.

Create all other partitions after that, including a /boot right after the
win2k partition

Continue installing linux.. MAKE A BOOT DISK

reboot when done, install win2k

reboot using boot disk

in linux, find out the partition name of your boot mount (here I assume
dev/hda)

dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1 to create the file
bootsect.lnx, and copy it to a floppy.

Boot to windows

Edit c:\boot.ini and add an entry for Linux: C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"

Copy bootsect.lnx from floppy to c:\

Reboot. First option, from the windows boot loader, allows you to go to win2k
or linux.
If you go to linux, you get the standard options (Linux, secure, floppy... you
know) which is a pain when you just want to get there, so you can remove the
prompt altogether.

Hope this helps. If not, there's always Google :)

Examples:
My boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000" /fastdetect
c:\bootsect.lnx="Linux Mandrake 9.0 (ButtMunch)"

 (always find the monikers funny, and this one tickles my wife)

--
A. Contreras
My C&R webpages: http://www.elnonio.dns04.com