On Monday 10 February 2003 09:18 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [...]
In linux (it's all about choice) you can call the partiutions what ever you
want, but the system "needs" to see certain standard partitions.
I would also suggest that you leave the 80 gig in the box, since you will want
to give them "mount points" that the system will see in linux, and you would
not really want to see the drive letters switched around in windoze either,
(but you might anyway, since in Linux, you control the drive names, and in
Uncle billy's OS he get to make the choice for you, and what he chooses is
anyones guess). but you can name the partition win_e if you  like, as long as
you suck it up and consider that the "Expert" is pretty much equal to
"custom" on the install of most Win Software, and look for the options. As
long as you do not format, you will not loose any info on the ntfs or fat
partitions, and when you create linux partions, they do not need / nor sould
be formated via PM, just let the diskdrake part of the install do that, but
do it as expert, and untill you get used to Linux and the differnet partition
schemes, just go with that second 8 gigs as one big "/" partiton.

> what it calls win_c is actually E and what it calls win_d
> is actually F [D: is the CDROM]. To be fair, it does say "just a guess"
> in the details box when I click on each partition.
> But: there doesn't seem to be any way [that I can see] to be sure.
> And even if I was pretty sure that the second partition is the one to
> put Linux on, I don't see any way on this screen to tell it to do that.
click on the red zone of that partition, that will select that partition, and
get you some more choices (in expert)