On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 03:18, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> [...]

Linux has its own file systems (plural). For your install
either
- remove the linux partition with windows fdisk and leave it blank for linux
to use.
or
- Go expert mode and remove /mnt/win_c so linux can utilize this space.

> I fired up windows and moved my data from C: to E: [the newly created
> archive partition]. So far so good - windoze sees all three partitions.
>
> Put in Mandrake 9.0 CD1, went through the languages, kbd/mouse, security
>  - accepted the defaults as they seemed reasonable.
> "Setup Filesystems" shows a graphical representation something like this:
> +---------+------------+---------------------------------------------+
>
> | /mnt/nt | /mnt/win_c |            /mnt/win_d                       |
>
> +---------+------------+---------------------------------------------+
>
> This **looks** right, but it's not seeing the labels, and it **seems**
> to be confused: what it calls win_c is actually E and what it calls win_d
> is actually F [D: is the CDROM]. To be fair, it does say "just a guess"
> in the details box when I click on each partition.

/mnt/nt etc. are arbitrary labels applied by linux. E: & F: are windows
conventions only. This is perfectly normal.

> But: there doesn't seem to be any way [that I can see] to be sure.
> And even if I was pretty sure that the second partition is the one to
> put Linux on, I don't see any way on this screen to tell it to do that.
> "Auto Allocate" says: "not enough space for auto-allocating"
> The wizard gives three options:
>  - erase the entire disk
>  - use the free space on the windoze partition
>  - use the windoze partition for loopback
>
> I clicked on "toggle to expert mode" [with some trepidation, because
> clearly I'm not - LOL] and found a button to format the partitions,
> but I chickened out, because I can't be sure which partition is which.
> And anyhow, the partitions are already formatted FAT32 - do they
> need to be formatted again to put Linux on them?

You are going fine, nervousness is to be expected. Linux will not use your
Fat32, It will set it's own partitions in the space where /mnt/win_c (or
windows E:) is, once this partition is deleted.

> I guess I'm looking for some button that says "install here"...
>
> ...asking too much? <g>

Just go for it! When it comes to the format step of the install you can
highlight the new partitions to format. Ensure /mnt/nt and /mnt/win_d are
unchecked at this stage and you will have no problems. It will also create a
special tiny partition called swap that need not be formatted.

I also recommend you leave the other disk in place. That way you will be
able to read/write it from linux once running.

--
Michael