On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 10:18, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> G'day,
> Thanks to those who answered. I followed the instructions from
> Lanman and Adolpho above, and got this far:
> * I disconnected my 80G HDD - better safe than sorry.... LOL
> * I fired up Partition Magic and resized the existing NTFS partition
>   down to 8G, and labelled it "windoze".
> * I added another 8G partition, made it FAT32 [on a guess - I figured
>   if Linux couldn't see files on a NTFS partition it probably couldn't
>   install in one either:)], labelled it "linux"
> * set the remaining 22G [I wonder where the other 2G went???] as FAT32
>   and labelled it "archive".
>
> I fired up windows and moved my data from C: to E: [the newly created
> archive partition]. So far so good - windoze sees all three partitions.
>
> Put in Mandrake 9.0 CD1, went through the languages, kbd/mouse, security
>  - accepted the defaults as they seemed reasonable.
> "Setup Filesystems" shows a graphical representation something like this:
> +---------+------------+---------------------------------------------+
> |         |            |                                             |
> | /mnt/nt | /mnt/win_c |            /mnt/win_d                       |
> |         |            |                                             |
> +---------+------------+---------------------------------------------+
>
> This **looks** right, but it's not seeing the labels, and it **seems**
> to be confused: what it calls win_c is actually E and what it calls win_d
> is actually F [D: is the CDROM]. To be fair, it does say "just a guess"
> in the details box when I click on each partition.
> But: there doesn't seem to be any way [that I can see] to be sure.
> And even if I was pretty sure that the second partition is the one to
> put Linux on, I don't see any way on this screen to tell it to do that.
> "Auto Allocate" says: "not enough space for auto-allocating"
> The wizard gives three options:
>  - erase the entire disk
>  - use the free space on the windoze partition
>  - use the windoze partition for loopback
>
> I clicked on "toggle to expert mode" [with some trepidation, because
> clearly I'm not - LOL] and found a button to format the partitions,
> but I chickened out, because I can't be sure which partition is which.
> And anyhow, the partitions are already formatted FAT32 - do they
> need to be formatted again to put Linux on them?
> I guess I'm looking for some button that says "install here"...
>
> ...asking too much? <g>
First Partition: NT/2000/XP partition.
Second One: FAT32
Last partition for Mandrake

Window$ will read partition until it finds something it doesn't
recognize (like Linux file system) and then it will stop. So, if you put
Linux in the middle, Window$ will not read the FAT32 partition that you
set for your data.

Enter expert mode.

You have to set 2 partitions at least for Linux: swap (let's say 512Mb)
and the one where root (/) is mounted.

My initial install was EXT3 for the root partition but now I have a
different setup. Anyway, with the one I am giving here you can get
started. Then start reading and optimize your
system/setup/applications/hardware/and so on.

Good luck
--
    __
   / \\   @       __     __    @   Adolfo Bello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>