Again, I must respectfully disagree with you. Unless they can come up with
another way to dress up plain ol text between friends and family, it will
stay. Most people want eye candy and without it they will move on. Linux
does not need the various GUI's to operate, but in order to get more people
on board it is necessary to make it more flashy and the same goes with
email. It does not need flashy to work but that is what many many many many
people want. You can rant and rave about it all you want but that is life.
It is not about what makes it work but about what people want.

Yes there are security risks involved but anytime you make things easier,
you risk security.

Russ