On Sunday 09 February 2003 01:18 am, robin wrote:
<snip>
> I've used it on a couple of occasions in the last few years.  Sometimes
> I need to use non-ascii characters, and can't rely on the receiver
> having the ability to decode any other way.  Once I had to circulate a
> document that wanted very clear subtitles and colour - I _could_ have
> done it in ASCII, but it wouldn't have been as clear.  Normally, though,
> I'd just use this wanderful thing they have with e-mail called an
> attachment.  HTML mail is so popular with spammers because they
> knowmostpeople won't bother to open attachments (though the success of
> e-mail worms implies that there are still some who will!).
>
> Me, I'm wating for e-mail in LaTeX.
>
> Sir Robin

I've sent html e-mail occasionally myself. Personal greetings for special
occasions such as birthdays or anniversaries, or for somber occasions where
condolences would be more fitting.

Personalized one off "cards" I mean.

Everything has it's place and trying to deny people the free use of any form
of self expression or technology because of abuse by a few rotten apples
seems mildly retarded (technologically speaking) in my opinion.

I prefer plain text personally, but there are times....

Besides; I vaguely recall reading that in some few of the most recent mass
mailer worms infection didn't actually require the recipient to open any
attachments. All that was required was an un-patched Lookout and default
settings. As well as no anti-virus scanner for that broken piece of Microsoft
effluvium.

Regards;
--
Charlie