On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 17:43, Bruce Zink wrote:
> Today I installed Mandrake 9.0 on a Toshiba laptop.
> Or I tried to, anyway.
>
> I simply used the standard install CD's (downloaded
> from the Mandrake site).  They booted just fine, and
> the install ran without a hitch.
>
> I did get one message telling me that some of my
> hardware required proprietary drivers and referring me
> to www.linmodems.com.  I figured this message was
> specifically about the modem, and since I don't plan
> to be online with this computer I ignored it.
>
> After installation, the system wouldn't boot up - it
> always hung on "Starting pcmcia devices ..." or
> something to that effect.  Everything up to that
> point, however, worked fine.
>
> What have I done wrong?  How can I fix it?

What I'd do is trying to isolate the problem.

Do you have any PCMCIA card in? If so, take it out and try to boot
again.

Also, during boot time, you are asked if you want to go into debugging
mode (or something like that). When you select that mode, you decide
whether a driver, module or process is started or not. This way we will
know exactly what is the conflicting hardware, service or process.
--
    __
   / \\   @       __     __    @   Adolfo Bello <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>