On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 17:08, Anne Wilson wrote:
On Saturday 01 Mar 2003 8:52 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 15:38, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Saturday 01 Mar 2003 8:03 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > This is true for HP printers.  The usual way is to have a rotation of 3
> > > carts to be refilled, the printer remembers the serial numbers of the
> > > last two carts it used and won't print if you refill a cart and put it
> > > back in the printer.  Which is the reason that I got rid of the HP
> > > printer and replaced it with an Epson C62, the HPs are just too
> > > expensive to operate and I don't see that much of a quality difference.
> >
> > Not true.  I've used recycled cartridges on my HP printer for ages.  And
> > I've taken one out, put a new one in, and when I got a faulty one that
> > the printer wouldn't accept I put the old one back in until I could get a
> > replacement. No problems at all.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "not true", but it sounds as if you have
> an older HP printer.

Deskjet 990Cxi - not old by any stretch of imagination.

> > > I've always used the cheapest replacement cartridges that I could find
> > > for my Epson printers without a problem.  The C62 cart light is
> > > flashing and I'm almost out of black ink, we'll see how the replacement
> > > works very soon!
> >
> > At local computer fairs I see that a lot of refilled cartridges are
> > available for Epson printers, but some vendors say that they are
> > 'guaranteed chipped'. I've also read recently that the EU are trying to
> > outlaw the practise of chipping cartridges, because it makes recycling
> > difficult.
>
> Exactly what do you mean by "chipped"?

I don't know anything about the technology, other than people selling them
told me that it is the way that Epson machines are rigged to recognise their
own cartridges.
That's what I thought you meant, but now I'm confused!  HP printer carts are the ones chipped here in the states and I'm not aware of any Epson  carts being chipped, and I own 4 of them at the moment.  Can anyone else step in here and help me out?

Rich

--
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>