On Thursday 06 March 2003 01:14 pm, et wrote:
> On Thursday 06 March 2003 01:05 pm, Adolfo Bello wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 13:50, Diane Arsenault wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > No - I can't boot from any Cd at all.  So I don't think the actual Cd
> > > is the problem - I think it's to do with the Master Boot Record??? Just
> > > a stab in the dark, mind you!  Any help at all is very much appreciated
> > > at this point.
> > >
> > > Diane
> >
> > No Diane. You only get to the hard drive MBR after bypassing the CD
> > bootup step. But if you can't boot from *any* bootable CD, no matter
> > whether it is Windows or Linux, then something is wrong with the
> > hardware (assuming that the BIOS is correctly set up).
> >
> > Given that it is a new computer, I would take it back to the store and
> > ask for another one. Carry the Windows and Mandrake boot CDs to show
> > them the problem.
> >
> > Good luck!
>
> of course we could teach you how to do it from booting with a boot disk you
> can create from the CDroms,,, if we want, and if you can boot up from a
> cdrom
this instruction is cut and pasted from the Mandrake 9.0 download edition CD#1
a file called "install.txt" and you "should" be able to read this file even
in Windows or Dos

Make a boot floppy with Windows

   If your computer cannot boot from the CDROM and previous methods do
   not work, you must make a boot floppy under Windows as follows:

     * insert the CDROM, then open the icon "My Computer", right click on
       the CDROM drive icon and select "Open"
     * go into the "dosutils" directory and double-click on the
       "rawwritewin" icon
     * insert a blank floppy in the floppy drive
     * select "D:\images\cdrom.img" in the "Image File" field (assuming
       that your CDROM drive is "D:", otherwise replace "D:" as needed)
     * select "A:" in the "Floppy Drive" field then click on "Write".

   To begin the installation:

     * insert the CDROM in the drive, as well as the boot floppy, then
     * restart the computer.