On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 07:34, civileme wrote:

> Diane, I think you have an older computer with a CD that expects 650Mb CD
> media.  Mandrake 9.0 is distributed on 700Mb (80 minute audio) CD media, and
> older drives often have difficulty booting from though not normally reading,
> the later media.
>
> If you have two drives on the same channel it MAY be that the manufacturer set
> them both on CABLE SELECT.  In that case change the jumpers so that one is
> identified as master and the other as slave (the jumpers are on the back of
> the CD drive and CDRW drive.
>
> I have seen CABLE SELECT disable both from booting.
>
> How fast is your internet connection?  There are other ways to do this....
>
> Civileme

Easiest way: Never buy an HP, a Packard-Hell(Bell) or a computer with a
label that says "Kumputor Guten"; or, likewise, one from Alaska. (g)

One of my customers machines - a two year old HP Pav, will not boot from
a CD that's 700mb...freaked me out for a while because it caused me to
THINK that *I* did something wrong - until an HP techo up in Sydney told
me basically the same thing - they can't boot from the CD/IDE they put
in'em by default - the resolution was to put in an "off the shelf" CDROM
I had laying about - that worked...but overall, I never have much good
experience from HP desktops or laptops. Too proprietary for my
tastebuds...

--
Fri,  7 Mar 2003 07:45:01 +1100
  7:45am  up  9:10,  5 users,  load average: 0.21, 0.35, 0.22

Gray's Law of Programming:
        `_n+1' trivial tasks are expected to be accomplished in the same
        time as `_n' tasks.

Logg's Rebuttal to Gray's Law:
        `_n+1' trivial tasks take twice as long as `_n' trivial tasks.