On Thursday 06 March 2003 08:24 am, Diane Arsenault wrote:
> Well, this is great!  I didn't expect so many responses.
>
> ANYWAY - everybody so far has asked me to check the BIOS settings, and I
> have replied that my CD-ROM is indeed at the top of the boot list.
>
> Further to that, Anders (in this reply) asked if I can use the CD-ROM in
> Windows - the answer if YES.
>
> He also asked if my BIOS sees it.  Again, YES.  EXCEPT when I've got the
> Linux CD in the drive ....
>
> I'm very confused.
>
> Diane

Diane, I think you have an older computer with a CD that expects 650Mb CD
media.  Mandrake 9.0 is distributed on 700Mb (80 minute audio) CD media, and
older drives often have difficulty booting from though not normally reading,
the later media.

If you have two drives on the same channel it MAY be that the manufacturer set
them both on CABLE SELECT.  In that case change the jumpers so that one is
identified as master and the other as slave (the jumpers are on the back of
the CD drive and CDRW drive.

I have seen CABLE SELECT disable both from booting.

How fast is your internet connection?  There are other ways to do this....

Civileme