Thanks for all the help, Xdrakres even let me choose my monitor again (that
isn't in the list), but it still doesn't work. If I choose "TEST" still the
same, black screen, but it stays black, doesn't switch back (and I guess it
should, because it's a "test" button). The computer, however, didn't lock up
when booting normally, I'm sure because after I pressed "enter" (I have a
default user without password, so I think it logged in when I did that) I
heard a (welcome?) music...

Anyway, this is my configuration:
-ATI Radeon (recognized, driver set to radeon)
-Dell Ultrascan 15TX (old one) configured as Generic VGA monitor (also tried
custom monitor, but the specs of my monitor couldn't be filled in, and tried
some other models that looked like my monitor).

Now I have some other questions:
-Can I look for a driver for my monitor, or make a text document with the
specs or something myself to add it to the list, and will this help?
-Can I also tell linux to use the same video settings as on the
installation?
-IS this a monitor problem, or has this to do with my video card?

And things that still bother me:
-on the install it installs GRAPHICAL in 1024x768 and all looked nice!!
-at boot it also switches resolution from 1024x786 to 640x480 and nothing
goes wrong

At least I'm now a little more familiar with the commands ;-)

-Leendert