On Friday 14 March 2003 22:02, Leendert wrote:
> Tried 9.1 today, that one didn't hang on the test, but returns after a few
> secs. I tried much monitor settings, also the "custom" with the correct
> values, but no good result. However, some settings gave me an image with
> readable text, only colors messed up and flickerings and stipes when moving
> the cursor like on a TV with a bad antenna, so I started X with that
> setting to test if I will run into other problems, but all works correctly.
> Now I'm going to try more settings and/or writing my own file. One
> question: how to edit config/text files without booting X (command prompt)?
> And can I submit the correct settings somewhere to help other users with
> the same monitor?
>
> Leendert
>
> PS: I also couldnąt edit the config files in etc/X11/ because I don't know
> how to edit files in the command promt/terminal/whatever yet :/

You could use "vi" for that but it isn't that easy for some-one who'se never
used it before.

Try my tip on using "mc" it works you quite well. It isn't installed by
default on MDK9.1 IIRC so you'll have to install it yourself.

Type "urpmi mc" on the CML as su/root to do that, it will prompt you for the
correct CD.

It's very similar in it's functions to Norton Commander or Wincommander so if
you've used any of those before you'll feel right at home.

Good Luck,
HarM