On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 09:57:58AM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 Mar 2003 10:28 pm, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:54:58PM -0500, et wrote:
> > > what does "cat /etc/hosts" say? what does "cat /etc/resolv.conf" say is
> > > DNS runnig? named? ypserv?
> >
> > Thanks.  You have given me a few leads. Here's an incomplete reply.
> > /etc/hosts:
> >
> > 10.0.0.10               topoi.pooq.com topoi                        <--------
> > 127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
> > 172.25.1.1              topoi.pooq.com topoi                        <--------
> >
> This looks strange to me.  I would have thought that it was being told to look
> in two places for topoi, which would  certainly confuse it.  FWIW I had huge
> problems with massive delays, and it turned out to be just this sort of
> problems, so stick with it.
>
> What IP did you give for your nic?

I removed the 10.0.0.10, no implrovement in CDROM mount time, although MCC now  starts
up in only 45 seconds.

> > /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > nameserver 204.101.251.1
> > nameserver 209.226.175.223
> >
> > I don't recognise these nameservers.
> >
> Could they be your isp's dns?

I don't know.  I booted with the DSL modem on, got an internet connexion, and it seems
to be defaulting to 216.138.223.134, which is not on the list, but is what my ISP
provides.  I guess the pppoe setup provides this DNS.

-- hendrik