On Saturday 29 Mar 2003 9:45 pm, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 09:57:58AM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks.  You have given me a few leads. Here's an incomplete reply.
> > > /etc/hosts:
> > >
> > > 10.0.0.10               topoi.pooq.com topoi                      <--------
> > > 127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
> > > 172.25.1.1              topoi.pooq.com topoi                      <--------
> >
> > This looks strange to me.  I would have thought that it was being told to
> > look in two places for topoi, which would  certainly confuse it.  FWIW I
> > had huge problems with massive delays, and it turned out to be just this
> > sort of problems, so stick with it.
> >
> > What IP did you give for your nic?
>
> I removed the 10.0.0.10, no implrovement in CDROM mount time, although MCC
> now  starts up in only 45 seconds.
>
> > > /etc/resolv.conf
> > >
> > > nameserver 204.101.251.1
> > > nameserver 209.226.175.223
> > >
> > > I don't recognise these nameservers.
> >
> > Could they be your isp's dns?
>
> I don't know.  I booted with the DSL modem on, got an internet connexion,
> and it seems to be defaulting to 216.138.223.134, which is not on the list,
> but is what my ISP provides.  I guess the pppoe setup provides this DNS.
>
> -- hendrik

Hendrik, these nameservers are not causing your problem, and they're not
harming you.  You can find out who they are and decide whether to keep them
after the problem is solved.

I am convinced you have a resolution problem.  There is a file somewhere, and
I can't remember where, that holds your domain name.  The name needs to be a
fully qualified name, but not one that it will confuse with an internet name.
You need to find that file.  See if you can search for that file by searching
on part or whole of what you set your domain to be.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302