On Sunday 30 March 2003 11:15 pm, David E. Fox wrote:

> Hmm. I'm not sure what that does physically - my guess that it is
> slowing the memory so it is more in spec or more in tolerance to
> its requirements. It could be that your memory is just a tad out of
> tolerance vs. your motherboard - and the converse could also be true, that
> yuor motherboard could be just a wee bit out of spec with respect to
> the memory capabilities. Either way, the memoy settings seem to have
> fixed the problem.

Tom Brinkman was kinda explaining it to me - seems auto/spd has your MB grab
the specs from the Ram itself. So if the Ram is over-rating itself to the MB,
then you could have problems. (I think I got this right). By going manually,
you dicate to the Ram how its to run. Which, in a convoluted way is kinda
what you were saying...

Does that make any sense? :-)

> As to cpuburn - it runs a very tight loop. I would think that it runs
> entirely within the L1 processor cache (the loop is maybe 50 bytes
> long) and as such your memory may not be as big an issue.

Yes, the man page explains how you can get it to focus on diff. areas of cache
and ram. Very cool program.

> Crucial seems to be highly recommended. Not sure about Kingston.

Thanks!

--

                                                                      /\
                                                             Dark< >Lord