On Tuesday March 18 2003 04:34 pm, darklord wrote:
> On Monday 17 March 2003 10:30 am, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/mdoc/ref/ts-system-freeze.html
> >
> >     Sorry, I just should'a posted that link in my first reply ;)
>
> No problem, I'll save that url and check it out in a bit.
>
> Wanted to tell you what happened yesterday. I installed lm-sensors
> and gkrellm to monitor temperatures and voltages.
>
> Got it setup and running, got alarms right away. The 3.3v is
> showing 6.4 volts all the time. I'm clueless as to why.

    I suspect the reported voltage is being doubled. It's surely
wrong, because while some 3.3v ram does well up to 4v, anything much
over that and it probly wouldn't even boot.  How do the 12, 5, and
cpu voltages look?   ...are they steady?  What does the bios say the
3.3v is at? Hopefully it's 3.3+ (3.4 or 3.5).  Who makes the PSU?

> As to temperature - I took the case off,  had gkrellm going,
> showing 114.4 degrees (F. not Celsius). I opened a shell and ran
> burnK6, and watched it.
>
> System locked up in less than 2 minutes, final temperature was
> 118.2 degrees at lockup. That should not really be the problem,
> should it?

    The only reason I refer to Celsius for computer temps is 'cause
that's the prevailing convention. 114f = 46c, 118f = 48c, so heat is
not the problem.  Next likely culprits are L2 cache (on the cpu) and
ram. Not neccesarily hardware failure, could be configuration.

   Are you running the cpu at default speed, and what's the FSB mhz?
More likely the problem is that PNY ram.  Make sure you're runnin it
at bios defaults, which should be cas 3, and bank interleaving
disabled. Disable the 'auto' or 'get specs from ram' (SMP) bios
setting. The ram might be overstating it's specs. Brands like PNY and
other low end vendors, including house brands and generics, often do.

    If you can, try different (better ;) ram. Try moving the sticks to
different slots (even if you only have one stick), and swapping the
order around. Clean the ram's contacts with a pencil eraser.   For
the L2 cache, and this could help the ram too, try running the system
with the FSB underclocked. EG, if your FSB is 133mhz, drop it to
130mhz.  If that still doesn't fix or improve the problem, then add
some Vcore (cpu voltage).  IIRC, your XP has a range of 1.55 to 1.75.
Try it at 1.7 and even 1.75, the upper limit.

    Did you try mprime ?  It'll stop on hardware errors, usually ram.
See what you can find out about that PNY ram.  You system should have
a minimum of 7.5ns, cas2.5 ram. =< 7ns, cas2 would be better.  The
PNY probly doesn't meet those minimum specs, even if it says it does.
Ignore DDR333 and such, those are just general marketing labels.