Op Sunday 16 March 2003 04:02, schreef Ronald J. Hall:
> Okay, I'm still having some hardware problems. I installed and ran memtest
> overnight, about 24 passes with no errors.
>
> I grabbed and installed cpuburn 1.4 last night, then ran burnMMX.
>
> It won't run longer than 2 minutes before I get a full lockup that requires
> a hardware reset or powerdown and back up.
>
> That from a shell with X running and without.
>
> This is an AMD XP2100, 512megs DDR (PNY) Ram, Soyo Dragon Plus MB, Nvidia
> Geforce 4 Ti4200, etc, etc, with nothing overclocked.
>
> The CPU has a 5 1/4, 3000 rpm fan/heatsink attached to it, and BIOS reports
> 50 degrees celsius for it, and 27 degrees Celsius for the system.
>
> Intense games cause crashes, some with direct references to memory.
> Example, Warcraft 3 gives this:

>---------------------------- This application has encountered a critical
> error:
>
> FATAL ERROR!
> Program:      C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\war3.exe
> Exception:    0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 0023:6F58A844
>
> The instruction at '0x6F58A844' referenced memory at '0x7FF8FE63'.
> The memory could not be 'read'.
>----------------------------
>
> The literature with cpuburn suggests that my CPU is not getting cooled
> enough but from what I've read, 50 degrees Celsius should be okay, right?
>
> So what does everyone else think? Sure could use some insight. (Tom
> Brinkman, you around anywhere? <grin>)
>
> PS Note that all the hardware is basically "new", less than 3 months old.

Roland ,

I' m not so sure that the indication of the cpu temp. is always so accurate .
A good thing to try is when the machine locks up , reboot emmidiatly (so
everything is still hot) , and run the test again . When it is the
temperature which gives problems , it now should lock up even faster .

a second thing is trying to switch memory as suggested by Ian .

Good luck .

Bart.