On Wednesday 28 May 2003 02:10 pm, John Drouhard wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2003 18:05:19 -0500
>
> Tom Brinkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >    The nForce(2) chipsets are not well or completely supported by
> > Linux kernel yet. Neither are Intel i<whatevers>. VIA chipsets
> > boards are best supported, mainly due to their popularity and
> > cooperation with the Linux community. Their best are usually
> > followed with an 'a', eg, kt133a, kt266a, kt333a, and kt400a ...
> > the latter which outperforms the nforce2 chipset.
> >
> >    nForce only derives (Windoze) rave reviews if perfectly matched,
> > high quality DDR ram modules are used, and then only in few normal
> > real world circunstances.  If you really want an nVidia chipset
> > board, then lobby nVidia to break their license agreements and back
> > room deals with Micro$oft, and help out the folks at kernel.org
> > with some better cooperation.
>
> Actually, I didn't really want an nforce2 motherboard. I just went for
> this one because it had AGP 8x and got high reviews. Could anyone point
> me to a motherboard that works well with linux, is not too terribly
> expensive, and has support for AGP 8x (I am going to try a Radeon with
> the new FireGL drivers, they are supposed to have good support with X
> and WineX).

I am running a Soyo KT400 Dragion Ultra Black Edition that supports AGP8x,
USB2.0, 166MHz fsb and has 4 IDE channels and onboard sound (CMI 8738) and
nic (VIA Rhine2).  $106 at Newegg.com with free shipping.

The only thing not supported out of the box with 9.1 is the additional
ATA-RAID controller (Highpoint) but it works fine as additional IDE channels.
Works fantastic here.

FYI, I matched it with the AthlonXP 1700+ which I am clocking to 2400+ speeds
only by changing the fsb to 166, no chip mods or crazy tricks to get it to
work, just good case ventilation.  That cpu is only like $42.
--
Greg