On Thu, 29 May 2003 19:22:14 -0400
Greg Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think any KT400 board should do.  If you want to be sure on the video, get
> nVidia.  You never said if you were going to dual-boot windows, but if you're
> not, will dx9 really matter?

I am dual booting windows, but thats besides the point. I want to have
full compatibility with upcoming games. I will be playing them through
winex, and I'm sure that most upcoming games will use Directx 9.0. Maybe
then I should go for a GeForce FX 5600 Ultra. I didn't particularly want
an FX though........

> If you OC the 2200+ your potentially going to have a problem because if you
> move to 166fsb, you're going to have to drop the multiplier, and to do that
> with the Athlon over 2100+ you have to make a chip mod, a small one, but
> you'd still have to do it.  The other option is to leave the fsb at 133 and
> just increase the multiplier.  Also, don't expect the same kind of
> performance boost with the 2200+ than I got with the 1700+.  a nearly 50%
> overclock like that has pretty much been reserved for the 1700+ because it is
> a very special chip.  Moral of the story, read up and make sure you are
> comfortable with what you are doing because there are no guarantees.  If you
> know what you are doing, it is pretty easy, but if you try to approach it
> without gaining any knowledge, you could very well fry something.

Ok, that puts the 2200+ out of the question. About your 1700+, does it
perform the same as a non oc'd 2400+ would perform? And if not, about
how does it perform in comparison to another Athlon?

> Start here and watch the wrap.
>
> http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=6dda6dfbae7758831b59bd69ca39a7e1&forumid=3

Thanks for the link, they seem to suggest the 1700+ as the most bang for
buck.

Thanks for all this helpful info guys. You have really weighed heavily
in my decision for a motherboard / cpu combo. Thanks again!

John Drouhard

--
Thu May 29 18:36:42 UTC 2003
They told me to install Windows 98 or better, so I installed Linux.