On 09 Jun 2003 09:13:25 +1000
Stephen Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 02:00, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Look, even "out of the box" or "brownbag" - literally any linux distro
> upon initial installation and configuration (granted that passwords
> HAVE been put in place) is going to be able to sit nicely without very
> many issues as opposed to a Windows installation "brownbag" - the Win
> box is going to get hit FIRST TIME SURFING with either adware or
> spyware - irregardless of what or where the user surfs to - but that
> cannot happen on a linux box.

I think that's a wild exaggeration. I surfed for years using Win98 and
never once had a problem. Admittedly I was cautious, and later started
using Eudora, Opera and ZoneAlarm, but I started out with IE, OE etc.

Look at XP. It was released with a known vulnerabilty (UPNP), but many
people are probably unpatched and still surfing without having been hit.

Richard
--
Registered Linux user 246658 at
http://counter.li.org