On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 00:15, RichardA wrote:

> I think that's a wild exaggeration. I surfed for years using Win98 and
> never once had a problem. Admittedly I was cautious, and later started
> using Eudora, Opera and ZoneAlarm, but I started out with IE, OE etc.
>
> Look at XP. It was released with a known vulnerabilty (UPNP), but many
> people are probably unpatched and still surfing without having been hit.
>
> Richard

Exaggeration? Prime example.

Yesterday, Monday, June 9, 2003

Fresh installation of XP Pro on customers workstation. Total time from
start of installation to the last device drivers and system tweaking
prior to getting onto the internet: 3hr.

Customer does not have or want an antivirus program, nor any
spyware/adware removers or monitors.

Customer surfs around for about 30 minutes whilst I sit outside and
smoke and have a few coffees. (Did Hotmail, dunno really where else she
browsed, but that's no matter)

Came back in, found a new toolbar on IE that wasn't there previously.

Installed Spybot anyways, updated and disconnected. RAN Spybot in front
of her. 11 spyware/adware backdoors and TWO toolbars (one didn't load
for some reason).

Let customer read through the Spybot information and the help.

Loaded Spybot, Spysweeper, RAV Antivirus Desktop; updated all, cleaned
up all remnants of "shit". Rebooted twice to make sure everything was
hunkydory.

I'll not make any further allusions to that comment about "wild
exaggeration", Richard. Truth be told, you have absolutely no idea what
is going on with a Windows machine when it's on the net. It's getting to
be much worse than it was last year, or even last month for that matter.
IF YOU'RE LUCKY, this doesn't necessarily happen to a Windows machine,
but it is literally "CyberWar" right now - either with viruses and
trojans, spyware, adware or Sub7's and BO's. We only have Microsoft to
thank for that.

--
Tue Jun 10 07:20:00 EST 2003
 07:20:00 up 2 days, 17:11,  3 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.07, 0.09

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.