Mandrake 9.1

My problem is that in some applications the fonts look washed out.  It usually
looks like some form of Helvetica, but I am not sure.  How do I control the
fonts that applications use in KDE?

KDE's control panel lets one change the fonts kde uses for menus and file
names, but I need to control the fonts within an application.

I know this is very vague.  Any pointers on where to find information about
fonts would be appreciated.

I seem to remember having this trouble on a linux system years ago and back
then the solution including coping a bunch of fonts from a windows system and
using them within Xwindows.  I kind of doubt that is still done, but please
correct me if I am wrong.

Rafe