On Monday 23 June 2003 05:15 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 23 Jun 2003 3:40 am, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> > Good news: Floppies are becoming extinct. According to the current
> > Dell catalog, floppy drives are now extra-cost options! This may
> > make sense in a corporate environment, but it strikes me that it is
> > certainly going to complicate trouble shooting a standalone home
> > PC.
> > -- cmg
>
> So a useful tool for your box would be a usb superfloppy.  I think
> they are still available?  Most modern bioses will boot from LS120
> and zip, I think
>
> Anne

Anne:
Good point, and something that the laptop folks have learned to do. However, I
still like the idea of a $10 floppy drive and a small stack of disks with
various recovery tools on them. Floppies may be slow, and their limited
capacity is a real pain, but they are simple, robust and nearly universal --
at least in the home/SOHO desktop realm.

Ugly scenario: #2 Daughter buys floppy-less Dell. Something goes wrong. #2
Daughter calls Daddy for help. Daddy spends a lot of time just figuring how
to get into the #$*&! Dell so Daddy can use toolset while assorted
grandchildren incessantly repeat that they "want to help Grampa". Rinse and
repeat for #1 Daughter and #1 Son.
-- cmg