Joeb wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:45:45 +0100
John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm thinking that you might need to use the expert mode to install MDK and not install LILO, but I'm not sure about that.

Joeb, I always use expert mode, only way to get choices.

Just in case, that is not correct, make a backup copy of your existing lilo.conf

Oh , sure I can do that, and usually do, since it's easier to copy and paste script than rememeber all the individual lines.

and then do the install. One of two things will happen. Your new install will put lilo on the MBR of the new HD (meaning when your original mounts on reboot, your new one won't be there in the list, since the old lilo doesn't know about the new drive). If that's the case, just add the lines to lilo.conf for your new drive, rerun lilo and reboot.

Oh sure I know how to do all this, no problemo.

All should be fine.

On the other hand, your new install might overwrite the original MBR and you are now without your original lilo.conf.

that's right. and the new lilo install is mapped to the wrong /etc/lilo.conf

If that is the case, add either add the lines to the new lilo.conf for your original drive or copy the backup of the lilo.conf back, edit it for the new drive. Either way, run lilo before rebooting.

well yes but it leaves me the wrong way round, in escence I'm booting form the wrong /etc/lilo.conf on the gash experimental OS , when I want to be booting from the /etc/lilo.conf of the original first M9.1 install.

Is It possible to restore the original lilo install , the one mapped to the first M9.1 /etc/lilo.conf ? You see I don't know how to do that with the F1-rescue- install new boot loader when you have 2 identicle M9.1 OS's for it to choose from. Suppose I were to bastardise the wrong /etc/lilo.conf and leave it rejected in the /sbin/lilo check.
Maybe that would cause the CD1 f1-rescue-install new bootloader with no other choice but to work with the correct /etc/lilo.conf. Dunno ? what do you think ?

John

Joeb

--
John Richard Smith