Dennis,

the only part of the stats counter that needs to be apache.apache is the
directory were the stats, ips and counts and archives are stored.. because
the web server needs to be able to write to those directories..

everything else should just be owned by your user..

so, to to the parent dir of the directory where you put the counter files.
and do this:

chown -R apache.apache counter

(where counter is the dir with all the stats files and dirs in it.)

The most important part of installing cgi scripts is checking the error logs
when it fails.

so the following command might help:

tail /var/log/httpd/error_log

It will tell you what the problem is.

Other things to check..

1. Did you edit it on a windows machine?? if so, you will need to see if it
added windows return chars, if so, you need to remove them, install dos2unix
and run it on the files.
2. Did you upload as binary or ascii? perl is just text files so can't be
binary.
3. as a way of improving your chances, change all the perl .pl files to 777.
chmod 777 *.pl in the dir where you saved the stats counter script file.
4. some webservers are not setup for .pl perhaps you should try changing it
to .cgi

let me know how it goes and I will help as I may.

rgds

Franki