On Friday 18 Jul 2003 7:10 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> >I don't think 9.1 is broken per se, or we would all have the
> > problem. However, I think it may well be breakable <g>  I used to
> > have this problem with 8.2, and I'm pretty certain that it was
> > the connection between chair and keyboard that started it :-)
> >
> >Sorry, John.  Not poking fun.  Obviously if someone can identify
> > what has become broken/disturbed we would all like to know
> >
> >Anne
>
> Cryptic remarks acoumplish nothing .
>
> An explanation would.

John, I understand your frustration, but I did not intend to be
cryptic.  It seems to me that, as others have suggested, you have
somehow upset your sources database.  I would suggest that you remove
them all, replace them as shown below, then use plf's easy_urpmi to
add back external sources.  I think it was Charlie who sent the
following to me:

<quote>

{LOOK below the next paragraph first Anne}
At the root prompt in a terminal:

urpmi.addmedia --distrib file://mnt/cdrom/

with CD1 in the drive it should do what you want. You may have to use
the
force argument though. Thusly;
urpmi.addmedia -f --distrib and so on.
Note; there are indeed two (2) hyphens before distrib. You can find
the
available commands without digging through the man pages for urpm by
using
urpmi.(addmedia or some other use) -h to get a help screen. Not a lot
of
information there but it may remind you of the correct command you're
digging
for. The BASH history may also help if you have used the relevant
command
recently (the last 50 entries) since it's already there to be rerun.
Since
this is a new install you probably don't have the command in your
history on
that machine but one of the others.....?

I'm also wondering if the other command line "shortcut" would help at
all.
Insert the first install CD in the drive and at the root prompt:

urpmi.update cdrom8

even though that was specifically for CDs containing hdlists that
weren't
properly loaded by the installer, causing an "everything already
installed"
in RPMDrake; or not listing packages properly. Worth trying maybe?
This is
the one from the Mandrake 9.0 errata page here;

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/ru/errata.php3
</quote>

Anne