Anne Wilson wrote:

On Friday 18 Jul 2003 11:37 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

Anne Wilson wrote:

On Friday 18 Jul 2003 7:10 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

I don't think 9.1 is broken per se, or we would all have the
problem. However, I think it may well be breakable <g>  I used
to have this problem with 8.2, and I'm pretty certain that it
was the connection between chair and keyboard that started it
:-)

Sorry, John.  Not poking fun.  Obviously if someone can identify
what has become broken/disturbed we would all like to know

Anne

Cryptic remarks acoumplish nothing .

An explanation would.

John, I understand your frustration, but I did not intend to be
cryptic.  It seems to me that, as others have suggested, you have
somehow upset your sources database.  I would suggest that you
remove them all, replace them as shown below, then use plf's
easy_urpmi to add back external sources.  I think it was Charlie
who sent the following to me:

<quote>

{LOOK below the next paragraph first Anne}
At the root prompt in a terminal:

urpmi.addmedia --distrib file://mnt/cdrom/

with CD1 in the drive it should do what you want. You may have to
use the
force argument though. Thusly;
urpmi.addmedia -f --distrib and so on.
Note; there are indeed two (2) hyphens before distrib. You can
find the
available commands without digging through the man pages for urpm
by using
urpmi.(addmedia or some other use) -h to get a help screen. Not a
lot of
information there but it may remind you of the correct command
you're digging
for. The BASH history may also help if you have used the relevant
command
recently (the last 50 entries) since it's already there to be
rerun. Since
this is a new install you probably don't have the command in your
history on
that machine but one of the others.....?

I'm also wondering if the other command line "shortcut" would help
at all.
Insert the first install CD in the drive and at the root prompt:

urpmi.update cdrom8

even though that was specifically for CDs containing hdlists that
weren't
properly loaded by the installer, causing an "everything already
installed"
in RPMDrake; or not listing packages properly. Worth trying maybe?
This is
the one from the Mandrake 9.0 errata page here;

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/ru/errata.php3
</quote>

Anne

John, did you remove all the old entries first?

How do you do that then ?

Did you put cd1 into the drive

Of course I did.

urpmi.addmedia --distrib file://mnt/cdrom/ ?

I know you used the force flag, but it doesn't look as though you gave the whole command.

No,
odd command,   file://mnt/cdrom/   don't you think.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# urpmi.addmedia --distrib file://mnt/cdrom
unable to access hdlist file of "Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1)", medium ignored
unable to access first installation medium
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.International CD (x86) (cdrom3).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.texstar.cz]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# urpmi.addmedia -f --distrib file://mnt/cdrom
unable to access hdlist file of "Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1)", medium ignored
unable to access first installation medium
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.International CD (x86) (cdrom3).cz]
examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.texstar.cz]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

So what if anything did this accomplish and why ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]