Anne Wilson wrote:

On Friday 18 Jul 2003 2:45 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:

Anne Wilson wrote:

On Friday 18 Jul 2003 11:37 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

Anne Wilson wrote:

On Friday 18 Jul 2003 7:10 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
John, I understand your frustration, but I did not intend to be
cryptic.  It seems to me that, as others have suggested, you
have somehow upset your sources database.  I would suggest that
you remove them all, replace them as shown below, then use
plf's easy_urpmi to add back external sources.  I think it was
Charlie who sent the following to me:

<quote>

{LOOK below the next paragraph first Anne}
At the root prompt in a terminal:

urpmi.addmedia --distrib file://mnt/cdrom/

with CD1 in the drive it should do what you want. You may have
to use the
force argument though. Thusly;
urpmi.addmedia -f --distrib and so on.
Note; there are indeed two (2) hyphens before distrib. You can
find the
available commands without digging through the man pages for
urpm by using
urpmi.(addmedia or some other use) -h to get a help screen. Not
a lot of
information there but it may remind you of the correct command
you're digging
for. The BASH history may also help if you have used the
relevant command
recently (the last 50 entries) since it's already there to be
rerun. Since
this is a new install you probably don't have the command in
your history on
that machine but one of the others.....?

I'm also wondering if the other command line "shortcut" would
help at all.
Insert the first install CD in the drive and at the root prompt:

urpmi.update cdrom8

even though that was specifically for CDs containing hdlists
that weren't
properly loaded by the installer, causing an "everything already
installed"
in RPMDrake; or not listing packages properly. Worth trying
maybe? This is
the one from the Mandrake 9.0 errata page here;

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/ru/errata.php3
</quote>

Anne

John, did you remove all the old entries first?

How do you do that then ?

Use mcc Software Manager. There's a button to remove entries.

Well there is nothing there now since clicking around with it I've removed everything

urpmi.addmedia --distrib file://mnt/cdrom/ ?

I know you used the force flag, but it doesn't look as though you
gave the whole command.

Anne

[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# urpmi.addmedia --distrib file://mnt/cdrom/
unable to access first installation medium
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# urpmi.addmedia -f --distrib file://mnt/cdrom/
unable to access first installation medium
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

and yes I've got the CD1 disc in the drive.
seems like it cannot find media,
so lets try the writer instead,
right move the media over to writer, and,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# urpmi.addmedia -f --distrib file://mnt/cdrom2/
unable to access first installation medium
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

nope, no better
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]#

looks good to me,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# cd /mnt/cdrom
[EMAIL PROTECTED] cdrom]# ls
autorun.inf  images/      isolinux/     misc/                    VERSION
COPYING      index.htm    LICENSE.txt   pkg-9.1-Bamboo-i586.idx
doc/         install.htm  live_update*  README.txt
dosutils/    INSTALL.txt  Mandrake/     RPM-GPG-KEYS
[EMAIL PROTECTED] cdrom]#

so it's a fully working dvd/rom drive able to read media

now,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] cdrom]# urpmi.addmedia -f --distrib file://mnt/cdrom/
copying hdlists file...
...copying done
added medium Installation CD 1 (x86)
added medium Installation CD 2 (x86)
added medium International CD (x86)
copying source hdlist (or synthesis) of "Installation CD 1 (x86)"...
...copying done
examining hdlist file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86).cz]
copying source hdlist (or synthesis) of "Installation CD 2 (x86)"...
...copying done
examining hdlist file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86).cz]
copying source hdlist (or synthesis) of "International CD (x86)"...
...copying done
examining hdlist file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.International CD (x86).cz]
performing second pass to compute dependencies

examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86).cz]
built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation CD 1 (x86)"
examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86).cz]
built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation CD 2 (x86)"
examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.International CD (x86).cz]
built hdlist synthesis file for medium "International CD (x86)"
found 0 headers in cache
removing 0 obsolete headers in cache
write config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] cdrom]#

Now that looks better,

but what exactly is going on ?

Could someone explain the process is, what it does, and what it achieves.

Obviously I've now got something called a headlist, well what is that ?

Clearly my system is having problems mounting the drive, and under automount, yet I don't have problems with desktop icons, and other apps. so whatever is going on it has to be something in the way URPMI is trying to access my drives !!

John

John

--
John Richard Smith