On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 22:16, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 19 Jul 2003 4:14 pm, Frankie wrote:
> > Basic was the first language I learned..
> >
> > Back when I was a youngin I was given a Commodore Vic 20
> > computer.
> > I taught myself basic and wrote my first big program...
> >
> > A space invaders clone..
> > snip

> The ZX-81 worked programs from a cassette tape - which stretched very
> quickly and soon became useless, so you had to have a backup tape.
> Also, I had the 16KB (Yes, KB!) memory pack, strapped on the back
> with insultating tape to stop wobble.  You would work all evening on
> a bit of programming, then at 23:30 you would have a 'white-out' and
> it was all lost.  That's how I learned the value of backups <g>
>
> Anne

ZX81 - I got the DIY kit, had to solder together myself.

Could do some incredible things in 1K of memory, (e.g. space invaders)
until I could afford the 16K add-on. I've still got it, and an add-on
board with EPROM with kernel - can't remeber what it did. Have to sort
it out.

Then moved onto the Tandy Color Computer using MS-Basic, but preferred
to run OS-9 from disk.

Paul M