On Saturday 19 July 2003 09:47 am, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Saturday 19 July 2003 11:08 am, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > Wow, APL! I'd forgotten all about that one. I never learned the
> > > language myself, but I had a buddy that did. It turned him into a
> > > genuine fanatic -- worse than the Hare Krishna kids in airports. It
> > > also made a lot of money for him developing software for
> > > programming NC machines that would run on the original IBM 5100
> > > desktop computer (circa 1975). He's still doing that part time.
> > > -- cmg
> >
> > I can't take this seriously.  It was late '70s before Microsoft Basic
> > was around, IIRC, and such 'hobbyist' machines as were around were
> > not only expensive, but had the operating system embedded - and it
> > was into the '80's before it became anything like standard.  If you
> > were not building your box - and how many were at that time? - why
> > would you 'steal' the operating system?
> >
> > Anne
>
> Anne:
> Actually, there was a market for MS Basic and similar software in the early
> days. Gates didn't get into the operating system business until IBM showed
> up on his front step with a blank purchase order in hand. His Basic was
> used on a both CP/M and non-CP/M machines. The latter computers usually had
> cassette interfaces -- the most famous being the Radio Shack TRS80 -- but
> some had floppies, too. IIRC, the base model TRS80 came with a simple Basic
> in ROM, but there was also an extended version that was loaded from
> cassettes. (You had to have 16K RAM to do that. Cost about $150 or so.)
> Liberating software for your buddies was tricky since there were virtually
> no standards; each manufacturer came up with his own nifty format which was
> supposed to make the disks (or tapes) inaccessable to any other hardware.
> -- cmg
I remberer unpacking my brand new  Kim-1 and then proceeding to
 1 round up a power supply
 2. finding out what hex was
  3 labouusly coping hex code into kim  and trying to boot
  4 thru 500 checking my errors
 later I added 4k of static Ram so I could load Tom Pitmans "itty-bitty basic"
believe me when the trash-80 came along it was a huge leap forward