> The ZX-81 worked programs from a cassette tape - which stretched very
> quickly and soon became useless, so you had to have a backup tape.
> Also, I had the 16KB (Yes, KB!) memory pack, strapped on the back
> with insultating tape to stop wobble.  You would work all evening on
> a bit of programming, then at 23:30 you would have a 'white-out' and
> it was all lost.  That's how I learned the value of backups <g>

Those were the days!  We had the same thing. Then, dad bought the Timex
Sinclair 2068, and a disk drive controller from Oliger. No case, just a
PCBA that plugged into the back of the computer.  We were cruisin then:
5 1/4" floppies were so much better than tape!

Imagine the day when bootup took .5 seconds and the entire state of a
machine (and i mean every byte of ram) could be saved/loaded at the
touch of a button  in <10 seconds. Also a great feature when you were
trying to get farther along in a game.

Dad and i used to program that thing together.

Ahhh, Anne, thanks for the nostalgia again.

For my dad, it's not just nostalgia: he still uses that computer every
once-in-ahile.

eric