> > Those were the days!  We had the same thing. Then, dad bought the
> > Timex Sinclair 2068, and a disk drive controller from Oliger. No
> > case, just a PCBA that plugged into the back of the computer.  We
> > were cruisin then: 5 1/4" floppies were so much better than tape!

> I eventually bought an external 5 1/4" drive for the Spectrum, but in
> between = did you ever have a Microdrive?  They were about 1 1/4"
> square and were miniature tapes.  They were much better than the
> audio tapes, but still suffered from the stretch problem.

We never had the Microdrive. Was that a Sinclair specific drive?  I
think some of the Spectrum stuff never made it for the Timex version.

I don't remember having too much of a stretch problem, though.  Don't
know why: i usu had the cheapest tapes i could find.

Maybe the old tape deck we had forwarded and rewound slow?

It had a rotating lever/knob to go from fwd/play/rev. I remember my dad
discovering that if you held it in between fwd and play, it would fast
forward, but you could still hear it. Then you could count programs go
by to get to the one you wanted!

> > For my dad, it's not just nostalgia: he still uses that computer
> > every once-in-ahile.
> >
> I gave away the Spectrum, but I still have the ZX-81 in the loft.

Yeah, he has his ZX-81 also, but i don't think it ever gets pulled out.
I think we wore out one of the shift keys to where you had to pull up on
it with tape to use it!  (remember the membrane keyboard?)

eric