On Saturday 19 Jul 2003 5:47 pm, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Saturday 19 July 2003 11:08 am, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > Wow, APL! I'd forgotten all about that one. I never learned the
> > > language myself, but I had a buddy that did. It turned him into
> > > a genuine fanatic -- worse than the Hare Krishna kids in
> > > airports. It also made a lot of money for him developing
> > > software for programming NC machines that would run on the
> > > original IBM 5100 desktop computer (circa 1975). He's still
> > > doing that part time. -- cmg
> >
> > I can't take this seriously.  It was late '70s before Microsoft
> > Basic was around, IIRC, and such 'hobbyist' machines as were
> > around were not only expensive, but had the operating system
> > embedded - and it was into the '80's before it became anything
> > like standard.  If you were not building your box - and how many
> > were at that time? - why would you 'steal' the operating system?
> >
> > Anne
>
> Anne:
> Actually, there was a market for MS Basic and similar software in
> the early days. Gates didn't get into the operating system business
> until IBM showed up on his front step with a blank purchase order
> in hand. His Basic was used on a both CP/M and non-CP/M machines.
> The latter computers usually had cassette interfaces -- the most
> famous being the Radio Shack TRS80 -- but some had floppies, too.
> IIRC, the base model TRS80 came with a simple Basic in ROM, but
> there was also an extended version that was loaded from cassettes.
> (You had to have 16K RAM to do that. Cost about $150 or so.)
> Liberating software for your buddies was tricky since there were
> virtually no standards; each manufacturer came up with his own
> nifty format which was supposed to make the disks (or tapes)
> inaccessable to any other hardware.
> -- cmg

Yup - I had a ZX-81 and then a Sinclair Spectrum.  I bought the
Extended Basic, which included the ability to program text/graphics
to windows (!).  As I said, there was no piracy there - we bought the
box with basic in rom, and bought additional extended basic if we
were interested in programming.  I didn't know anyone else at that
time that had the same interest, so there was never a question of
piracy.  I learned by typing in programs listed in magazines, finding
that they didn't work, then working throught the logic to find out
why and correcting them.

Anne